20.1.14

More Cauliflower Love


Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables. It's tasty, healthy and endlessly versatile. Here are a few recipes to try.

Buffalo Cauliflower Bites from Nutrition Stripped
A great spicy appetizer or side. I leave out the butter in the sauce to make it a bit healthier (and easier).

Black Pepper Tempeh & Cauliflower from Super Natural Everyday (Heidi Swanson) via Health is Happiness
The coconut oil is key to the flavor, but I use a bit less so the final product is not so oily. I rarely have shallots on hand, so I use onions. I keep a piece of ginger in the freezer, so I always have it on hand (it keeps forever this way).

Cauliflower w/ Capers, Raisins, and Almonds
An oldie, but a favorite. Good as a side or add to pasta (with a bit of the pasta cooking water) for a main.

Kimchi Fried Cauliflower "Rice"
I just discovered cauliflower "rice" and it's great!

Potato and Cauliflower Mash
Make mashed potatoes as you normally would, substituting 1/3-1/2 of the cooked potatoes with steamed cauliflower

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
Substitute roasted cauliflower for potato in your favorite potato salad recipe. Cut the cauliflower into relatively small pieces, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 400F for 15-20 mins. I make a healthier version of potato salad dressing:
1/3 cup each mayonaise (could use light or vegan) and greek yogurt
1/4 cup vinegar (I like rice vinegar)
1-2 tbsp of dijon mustard
1-2 tbsp agave or sugar
2 tsp dried or 2 tbsp fresh herbs (I like dill, parsley, basil)
salt and pepper to taste

Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli
Cut equal amounts of cauliflower and broccoli into bit sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes (optional) and spread on a baking sheet. Roast at 400F for 20-25 mins until tender, tossing once to help cook evenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment